Thursday, August 18, 2016

Say Goodbye to a Double Mind

James 1: 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
The New King James Version. (1982). (Jas 1:5–8). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.


This week I have been thinking a lot on the issue of double mindedness.  I am convinced that this is a huge reason people don't grow in their faith and why many never see God's active answering hand in their life.  James 1 challenges believers to TRUST God and not to be double minded.  Double mindedness is different from doubt. Double mindedness shows up as you ask or respond to God with: 

"maybe" 
"I need more information" 
"I don't think that is what you REALLY mean." 
"I might if...."
"Tell me first and then I'll decide."
"You can't be serious"
"I know you won't tell me to stop this ministry because it is so great."

All of these and more indicate that the heart still desires to self govern and not have Christ govern it. Until you and I become single minded, we can't expect God to answer anything. So if you want more of God in your life, more wisdom in decision making, more confidence in your faith walk. Start trusting what God shows you in the word and DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment